Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Changing Things Up!


     A couple of months back, I invested in a canoe to expand my fishing opportunities and to enjoy the great lakes and rivers near my hometown. With the slowing of trout fishing, due to the extreme heat, it was time to switch gears and try for some Smallmouth. The float trip is about 3 hours with a variety of deep slowing moving sections to sections of rapids filled with large boulders. I floated down the river throwing Rapala Countdowns and Floaters and the bass just went crazy from behind the large boulders. In two separate trips I landed roughly 20 Smallies and a surprise Walleye that was measured at 22 inches. I managed to hook into a couple nice Smallies on each trip that were fat and healthy and hit the tape between 17 and 18 inches. The Smallies sure do put on a show jumping out of the water as a last resort to snub your lure. Below is one of the nice Smallies from the trip. I plan on floating a longer stretch of the same river this coming Thursday with my brother and another report will follow. Also, I went out tonight from 7:30-8:30 on a nearby stream and the temperature was 70 degrees. My dad and I called it a night and went home to keep the brookies from unneeded stress and to escape the plethora of misquotes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment