Thursday, June 21, 2012

Father's Day


      This past weekend was the first time in nearly a month that I was able to go fishing for more than an hour straight. I decided to take my dad trout fishing for Father’s Day and have some much needed bonding time. He won’t go fishing by himself and will often shoot me down because he has work to do. We went out Sunday evening from 6:30-8:00 and had an amazing time. The Brookies were hitting every cast and several eager brookies would barely let it hit the water before making an attempt at the #6 Panther Martin. I managed to land the two biggest fish of the evening which were caught within 10 minutes of one another. The first brookie was a real plump 13” brookie with vibrant colors that had his nose right where a small feeder stream fed into the larger river. After the catch and a quick photo, I took a water temp (59 degrees). We worked our way upstream and came across a deep bend in the river that had a step drop. I casted it directly upstream and drug it along the outer bank and a quality fish caught me by surprise nearly 10 feet from my feet.  After a short battle and clean scoop of my net I was surprised by yet another 13” brookie. I was curious to see the temperature differential from the my last 13" brookie. The thermometer read 63 degrees a 4 degree difference in a matter of 50 yards. It just go to show the positive role small feeder streams have in giving brookies places to navigate to during the hot summer months. Even though I catch more than enough fish throughout the season my dad enjoys walking the stream and taking in all that nature has to offer. He doesn’t necessarily care about catching all the fish but the chance to spend time in the great outdoors and navigating his favorite trout stream. 

Pictured below is the first 13" brookie.





Pictured above is the small feeder stream and the tree on the right is where we hooked up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment