Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lovin' This Weather!

I woke up this morning with anticipation of once again exploring new waters. The streams near my home are unfishable and many look like small lakes. With such a beautiful day and nothing but time, I decided to explore some new streams. I brought a long my ultra-light and some PM's and just drove to where I believed the snow melt had its impact already. I managed to find a crystal clear stream with water temps in the mid- 40's (Perfect). I managed to locate a huge pool that was just below where I had parked my car. I quietly snuck down the bank and waded along the side of the pool. The pool had to be 10 ft deep and I was certain a large brookie or brown was just waiting for an ambush. I made 15 or so casts and not a single strike! I decided to make a few more and casts not 10 feet from my feet a massive strike. I had no idea what was on the other end but new it was something quite nice and reset the drag. It was about 5 seconds later the trout jumped out of the water flinging his head back and forth. At this point I knew I had for sure hooked into the biggest brown of my life. I was able to land the trout after giving my ultra-light quite the workout. Upon further inspection a fat 18.5" brown! I don't think I had been this excited since landing my 17" brookie a few years back. I was able to snap a few quick shots of the fish before releasing.






I waded upstream hugging the shallower banks and casting in the deeper holes as I navigated toward the headwaters. I was absolutely amazed by the number of quality trout I spooked and that were traveling downstream. I had an 18-20" brown swim between my legs twice before taking cover under a rock. I probably saw 50-60 trout and the bright sun and having to keep my "feet wet" kept me from catching a lot of these trout. I can't wait for streams around my home to recede and begin to fish the streams I am all too familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment